Woolers on Brighton Rock

Postby Adam C » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:03 pm

I went to the penultimate show last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't really like musicals but this was great, IMHO.

The small venue really helped as did seeing Lord Attenborough sitting a couple of rows in front of me, clearly having a good time. He of course may have been a bit biased...!

I can understand why the show is not going to get a run in the West End - most average Sun readers probably wouldn't like it. However I think it would be great to see it performed in similarly intimate venues like the Almeida.

At the very least an original cast album with an embellished score would be fantastic.

We can but hope...
Adam C

Postby Woolers » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:48 pm

Though I'm a doubting Thomas when it comes to the probability of the CD, I will support this of course! My email is being sent today.
Woolers

Brighton Rock

Postby Peter Greenhill » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:57 pm

It's now been seven months since Brighton Rock closed at the Almeida and we are now in the middle of another long silence. I would like to think that Barry and Black are reworking it ready to have another go in the UK provinces this Autumn and that it will then go on to the West End and a CD of the wonderful songs and score will be released.

Dreaming? maybe, but has anyone heard any news since February and the reference Barry made to the project in the BAFTA programme.

Oh well! I'm off to see 'The Chase' tonight at NFT3 here in London. Haven't seen it since a film society showing in 1970 when I was at University in Birmingham, sound and picture were 'dodgy' so I'm looking forward to tonight's showing!

Pete
Peter Greenhill

Postby webmaster » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 am

I have now shut down this part of the forum. If and when there is more news about Brighton Rock "revised and touring", this section will be reopened.

As with so much on the precious and beautiful invention called the Internet, this section has been contaminated on an almost daily basis by the scurvy tricks of some spammer (junk emailer).

We can only urge you never never ever to respond to message or emails or order from these creatures from the sewers.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Brighton Rock

Postby ellington » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Keith Calnan wrote:Received an email on Monday from Bill Kenwright's office to say that they have looked at this website to see the interest in Brighton Rock.Following my comments to them regarding a soundtrack,they tell me that Bill Kenwright is keeping it under review.May I suggest that as many Barry fans as possible email their office. The Deputy Managing Director is Simon Meadon on [cut by editor].
Good Luck !

I am certainly interested in a rerun, and a soundtrack. I took two friends with me, who aren't remotely interested in John Barry's music, and they both thought it very watchable. With a little change in emphasis in the story, and some trimming, I think it could be moved from a "quite good" to a "very good". It's never going to be a Phantom or a Sound of Music, but it should make some money at least, surely?
ellington

Previous

Return to Brighton Rock